I hope everyone had a good holiday and isn't too tuckered out after all the festivities. On my to-do list for January: a blog post about my latest batch of Turned Taquete dish towels.
I decided on colors reminiscent of the desert, or clay pots (or something), so I called them Desert Sands. I did four, and I decided to try some variations with weft choice and tie-up/treadling. The results were suprisingly interesting and downright fun. The first two were like the one above. Changing colors and blocks in a sequence that I decided on beforehand, and I like those just fine.
But, I needed a change, so I decided to weave one towel using one color and treadling just one block. It wasn't boring at all, and it was faster, since I wasn't changing bobbins every inch or so. The result was the towel below. Suddenly, instead of checks, we've got stripes! And I do love me some stripes.
You can really see the zig-zag in the non-alternating color areas. The fact that this is a straight draw threading, while seemingly simple, just upped the potential number of variations on one warp by a ton!
For all the four-harness weavers, it doesn't make a difference if you do this on four or eight harnesses. I do eight, but I like to utilize all the harnesses on my loom for any project. Saves the dreaded moving heddles chore. So here is the same design on four harnesses: